NMRT Board Member Final Report
1. Office Name: President
2. Office Term : 2005-2006
3. Discuss/summarize your involvement with your committees this year:
Phone calls, emails, to evaluate progress of impending programs for the 2006 Annual Conference in New Orleans.
4. Based on your year's experience in this office, what future directions do you see your office or NMRT needing to take this year or the following year?
I recommend the following:
Outreach Director should consider working closely with Student & Student Chapter Outreach Committee Chair in evaluating the process of contacting student chapter organizations and library schools. Each year much time and effort is wasted on re-establishing who the “contact person” is for student chapters and library schools. It would be ideal if web committee could create a “student chapter/library school template that would be readily available for school administrators and student chapter leaders to fill out preferably at the end of the school term in order to notify SASCO of new contact person. It would also benefit SASCO to resurrect the “Speakers Bureau” list. Many NMRT members and Alumni served as contacts to various schools and usually provided up-to-date information as to school administrative updates, new contacts etc.
Liaison Coordination & Support: I hope to see this committee continue in the direction of hosting an online discussion with its liaisons and representatives.
My recommendation to the Networking Director is to actively assist in the promotion of NMRT's 75 Anniversary celebration via the Midwinter Social Committee.
5. What tips or hints do you have that might help your successor carry out the duties of this office?
Just to keep up with documentation and have directors relay potential problems with committees.
6. Please address the role of the board member as coordinator. For example, with student outreach split among three committees reporting to three directors, somebody will need to take the initiative to make sure things are going smoothly. Another example would be projects between membership, alumni, and student outreach which need to be coordinated. How might activities such as this be handled by board members efficiently and smoothly? Your thoughts here will be most helpful for future boards.
Periodically review committees with the NMRT Executive Board and suggest changes.
7. Date of report: September 14, 2006
8. Submitted by: Nadine M. Flores