1. Office Name: Councilor
2. Office Term (Date: Ex. 2005-2006): 2005-2008
3. How do you plan to help committees address the four NMRT goals? (If it does not apply, put N/A.)
I want to continue the flow of information between ALA Council and NMRT members. Knowledge and understanding of ALA Council is important for our membership, so as I better understand the organization I can increase the knowledge and understanding for our members. I intend to forward messages from the ALA Council listserv on the NMRT listserv when appropriate, or provide summary messages of discussions when appropriate on the NMRT listserv. I would like to write an update for Footnotes as well, so that all members are informed.
4. How do you plan to create a positive committee experience? What type of support do you plan to provide to chairs and committee members, and how often do you plan to provide such support?
I want to be accessible and responsive to committee chairs and board members so that I represent our membership well on ALA Council. My previous service on NMRT committees and as an NMRT chair has demonstrated my ability to be organized, efficient, and thorough. I hope to continue that performance as a Councilor. It will help lend itself to working effectively with committee chairs and board members. As we build relationships over the next year, I hope that opportunities to collaborate will present themselves.
5. What future directions do you see your office or NMRT needing to take this year or the following year? What kind of strategies do you envision for addressing projects that affect committees outside of your supervision?
In addition to using the NMRT listserv and footnotes to send out information, I hope to establish other methods of communication between myself and NMRT members. The establishment of a blog might be an effective communication tool and provide a space for members to get information in one place. I want to encourage members to send me emails, call me, or chat with me online so that I am aware of any issues they might have or resolutions they might want investigated. In this first year as Councilor, I have the responsibility to learn and understand Council procedure and expectations. I look forward to growing in my role as NMRT Councilor.
6. Date of report: 14 September 2005
7. Submitted by: Courtney L. Young, email@example.com