1. Office Name: Vice President
2. Office Term (Date: Ex. 2002-2003): 2002-2003
3. Discuss/summarize your involvement with your committees this year:
I oversaw the work of SSRA, working with them to develop ideas for the upcoming term as President. They contributed ideas for making one's committee experience more rewarding.
4. Based on your year's experience in this office, what future directions do you see your office or NMRT needing to take this year or the following year?
I think it is important to set realistic goals for committees and officers, and to continue to offer positive experiences to committee volunteers.
Conference planning is always a challenge, and we should continue to look ways to stay organized and effective during the process.
5. What tips or hints do you have that might help your successor carry out the duties of this office?
Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions, even if you think you should already know the answer.
When doing committee appointments, keep a database of some kind on your own PC to use for the daily process; that way you can send updates to the Secretary and still have a working copy of your records.
6. Please address the role of the board member as coordinator. For example, with student outreach split among three committees reporting to three directors, somebody will need to take the initiative to make sure things are going smoothly. Another example would be projects between membership, alumni, and student outreach which need to be coordinated. How might activities such as this be handled by board members efficiently and smoothly? Your thoughts here will be most helpful for future boards.
As in every task, open communication is key. Also, at some point the duties of each Director may need to be re-evaluated to see if the current set-up is working.
7. Date of report: October 6, 2003
8. Submitted by: Beth Kraemer