NMRT Board Member Planning Report
1. Office Name: Vice President/President Elect
2. Office Term (Date: Ex. 2002-2003): 2003-2004
3. How do you plan to help committees address the four NMRT goals? (If it does not apply, put N/A.)
The Vice Presidential year is an opportunity to learn about all the committees and plan for next year. I will assist by providing leadership opportunities and recommending ways to become professionally involved.
4. How do you plan to create a positive committee experience? What type of support do you plan to provide to chairs and committee members, and how often do you plan to provide such support?
It is important to let the committee chairs take charge of the various projects and goals. I will provide guidance and suggestions but let the committee determine the direction they want to go. I will attempt to respond to all emails in a timely manner. The committee workload should be monitored and realistic goals set. It is very important that no one on the committee feels overworked. Committee work is a great way to meet people and work with librarians from across the country. It should also have an element of fun.
5. What future directions do you see your office or NMRT needing to take this year or the following year? What kind of strategies do you envision for addressing projects that affect committees outside of your supervision?
NMRT should continue to attract people who want an active role in the library profession. It is important to develop leaders with a variety of interests and from diverse backgrounds. I am interested in exploring the idea of an online workshop or tutorial for NMRT members.
6. Date of report: October 14, 2003
7. Submitted by: Sally Gibson