

**COLLECTED MINUTES of  
COLLEGE LIBRARY SECTION Meetings  
From Midwinter 2006**

---

**College Library Directors Discussion Group**

ALA Midwinter @ San Antonio

Sunday, January 22, 2006

In spite of a new time slot in the ALA schedule and a cold, rainy day in San Antonio, 38 people attended the CLDDG meeting. After introductions and statements of current library concerns from each attendee, the group divided into 5 tables for discussion of topics such as Assessment/Student Outcomes, Information Commons, Digitization/ Institutional Repositories, Strategic Planning, and Reorganization/Restructuring (including Library & IT mergers). Attendees were invited to join another table for the second half of the discussion time.

Co-Chairs: Irene Herold and David Wright

---

**Clip Notes Committee**

ALA Midwinter @ San Antonio

Sunday, January 22, 2006

**Present:** A. Watson (chair), S. Awe, D. Jensen, G. Gremmels, G. Ruffine, D. Malone, M. McCallister, R. Crowley, L. Kocevar-Weidinger

**(1) Announcements** @ Chair Watson asked members leaving the committee to indicate if they desired to continue. At ALA-New Orleans the committee will meet at the same time.

**(2) Plagiarism Clip Note** @ G. Ruffine reported that the two individuals working on this draft (Robert Nelson and Vera Stepchynshyn from Long Island University) have abandoned the project and cannot be located. After discussion, it was determined that if Ruffine cannot make contact with the authors by June, the work will be shelved.

**(3) Student Worker Clip Note** @ D. Jensen reported that the draft is almost complete and will be distributed to the whole committee shortly. Committee members need to make speedy comments in order for this to make the ALA summer publishing deadline.

**(4) Emergency Response Clip Note** @ L. Kocevar-Weidinger and D. Jensen are working on this, but it has not far progressed. The survey response has been poor at 30%. A. Watson indicated that she will put in Notes for Compilers that they need to include Ono responses to surveys in their reports.

**(5) Updating Participating Libraries** † In order to publicize and recruit new participating libraries, A. Watson will draft a note for committee members to review. This note could be sent out to various lists and publications.

**(6) Mailing Lists** † The committee will consult with ACRL to get assistance in gaining updated and accurate mailing lists.

**(7) Outsourcing Clip Note** † G. Gremmels reported that Adam Hay has volunteered to work on this topic and Gremmels is the lead editor.

**(8) User Surveys Clip Note** † D. Malone is lead editor and has proposals from two librarians. The survey will go out by e-mail to committee members for their comments. The earlier version of this Clip Note was a good seller and ALA is pleased to see a new version.

**(9) Copyright Clip Note** † Nothing yet has been developed except that Trish Keogh has indicated interest. A. Watson would like to identify a lead editor for this.

**(10) Suggestions for New Publications** † A Clip Note on recruiting library directors was discussed. There would be difficulties in getting some documentation and the audience would likely not be librarians. This idea was dropped.

A Clip Note on Information Commons is proposed with A. Watson as lead editor. We will have more discussion on this at the summer conference.

**(11) Report from Hugh Thompson** † Discussion on the possibility of selling Clip Notes as PDFs. Hugh will consider the issues of scanning and receiving items in electronic format. Hugh can make available a mailing list of CLS members. This list includes personal members and might have 3,000 names. The committee will de-dupe this list and get it back to Hugh to send out.

Submitted by Myrna McCallister

Clip Notes committee member

February 2, 2006

---

## Continuing Education

ALA Midwinter † San Antonio

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Attending: Terri Fishel, Beth Avery, Susanna Boylston, Marcia Thomas, Susan Whyte

The most important matter we discussed was "what do we do with our pre-conference program" that was turned down for ALA in New Orleans?

We concluded that it made sense to propose that it become a program at ACRL in Baltimore 2007, as indeed Mary Ellen Davis of ACRL had recommended.

We thought it might qualify as a program. Terri agreed to see what the deadline and policies around submitting a program are.

She and Susan have each read the ACRL information regarding panel sessions, contributed papers, workshops, roundtable discussions, poster sessions and so forth for Baltimore '07.

The contributed papers and panel sessions are both for one hour only in length. Susan did see Dane Ward's and Steven Bell's proposal fitting easily into either category because of the time restriction.

Susan knows both coordinators of the workshop proposals, Craig Gibson of George Mason University and Sandra Yee at Wayne State University. It seems that Dane's and Steven's program fits better within this framework (3 contact hours), so she will contact Sandra and Craig to make sure. She also wants to make sure that there will be no additional charge for workshops at ACRL, since one of our ideas about our proposed pre-conference was to have little cost for attendees.

Once Susan hears back from Craig and/or Sandy, she need for someone to work on the proposal with Dane and Steven. She will be asking for volunteers (2 perhaps) to shepherd this through. The proposal is basically written, so we would just need to fit it within the framework of the ACRL format. The deadline for submitting practically everything for ACRL '07 is May 10th, 2006, by the way.

Also, we brainstormed what else our committee could do. Ideas that surfaced:

- 1) Ask CLS members what they want to see from this committee
- 2) Work with state library associations in order to provide programming
- 3) Open the CLS directors' discussion group more obviously to librarians who are not directors
- 4) Find out prior to ALA in June programs and discussion groups of potential interest to CLS members and post to the COLLIB-L list (Susanna and Beth volunteered to work on this?)

Submitted by Susan Whyte

---

## **2006 Program**

ALA Midwinter @ San Antonio

Alice Bahr and Irene Herold met for the 2006 Program Committee and worked on revising the evaluation form, establishing a draft order for the program presenters, brainstorming publicity ideas, and going over miscellaneous items in preparation for the program.

Submitted by Irene M.H. Herold

---

## **2007 Program**

ALA Midwinter @ San Antonio

The Conference Program 2007 Committee met at Midwinter. As CLS Vice Chair/Chair Elect, Lis Chabot convened the committee. Lynda Duke and Cecilia Knight agreed to co-chair the Committee. The broad working theme for the program is "change engagement". We hope to develop a program that addresses staff development and organizational evolution processes that foster continuous improvement and proactively address technology advances and user expectations.

Submitted by Lis Chabot

---

## **Medium-Sized Academic Libraries Discussion Group**

ALA Midwinter @ San Antonio

The Medium-Sized Academic Libraries Discussion Group met in San Antonio to discuss the topic of Net Gen or Millennial students and the academic library. We had a rousing exchange among 40-50 academic librarians (one of the largest turnouts for a MSALDG in recent memory) about new technologies and user behaviors. No conclusions @ just lots of ideas, including some surprising user survey findings that value people, collections, and stable services above experiments with passing technologies.

Co-Chairs: Brian Rossmann and Jan Zauha.

---

## **Nominating Committee**

ALA Midwinter @ San Antonio

In lieu of reporting at the Midwinter Meeting in San Antonio, I am pleased to submit this summary of activity for the Section's official minutes and activities report.

The Nominating Committee for 2006 was comprised of Katherine Furlong (Lafayette College), Karen Fischer (University of Puget Sound), and John Stachacz, (Indiana University Kokomo), and Charles Getchell (Quinnipiac University), Chair.

This year's committee was charged with developing a slate with candidates for Chair Elect/Chair, Secretary, and Member-At-Large for the 2006 CLS ballot. We conducted our discussions and work during the summer and fall of 2005, and by year's end we had the following slate assembled:

Chair Elect/Chair

Steven Bell @ Philadelphia University

David Wright @ Mississippi College

Secretary

Barbara Burd @ Colgate University

Kate Hickey @ Elon University

Member at Large

Mary Ledoux @ Franklin Pierce College

Susan Whyte @ Linfield College

The Nominating Committee's work includes liaison and reporting to ACRL, and this year it was a pleasure to work with Ms. Megan Bielefeld. With appreciation, I wish to thank my committee members for their continuous efforts and initiative in seeing our ballot to completion.

Respectfully submitted,

Charles M. Getchell, Jr.

---

## Research in College Librarianship

Virtual Meeting

November 22, 2005

### Full Transcript included below:

**Steven Bell:** welcome everyone to the virtual midwinter meeting of the cls research for college librarianship committee Nov 22, 2005 10:36:58 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** i have started recording and would like to declare this meeting officially underway Nov 22, 2005 10:37:18 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** i think that's official enough - i just banged my gavel Nov 22, 2005 10:37:29 AM EST

**Robert Lenholt** joined the session Nov 22, 2005 10:37:57 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** i would like to ask you each to introduce yourself - let's go in order of the

participant list starting with RA and working down Nov 22, 2005 10:38:00 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** let's just refer to each other with initials - in caps - go ahead RA Nov 22, 2005 10:38:30 AM EST

**Rosemary Arneson:** Hi. I'm Rosemary Arneson, Director of the Library at the Univ of Montevallo in Alabama. I keep the Research Coach spreadsheet up to date for the committee Nov 22, 2005 10:38:46 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** yes - if you can indicate your committee responsibility that would help Nov 22, 2005 10:39:14 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** you can type ahead and submit when it's your turn Nov 22, 2005 10:39:25 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** NB? Nov 22, 2005 10:39:32 AM EST

**Nancy Bohm:** I'm delinquent in updating the YRC brochure Nov 22, 2005 10:40:01 AM EST

**Robert Lenholt** left the session Nov 22, 2005 10:40:15 AM EST

**Blake Landnor** joined the session Nov 22, 2005 10:40:25 AM EST

**Nancy Bohm:** And I'm a Reference Librarian at Lake Forest College Nov 22, 2005 10:40:34 AM EST

**mark mccallon:** Hi there. My name is Mark McCallon. I am assistant director and head of technical services at Abilene Christian University in Abilene, Texas. I am new to this committee and excited to be involved. Nov 22, 2005 10:41:34 AM EST

**Rebecca Miller:** Is it my turn? I am also a Reference Librarian at Lake Forest College. I am the coordinator for the coaches in the "Your Research Coach" program. Nov 22, 2005 10:42:11 AM EST

**john shank:** I am at Penn State and I am the Instructional Design Librarian and Director of the Center for Learning Technologies at the Berks Campus near Reading, PA. I am new to this section this year and I will be working on our survey. Nov 22, 2005 10:42:20 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** SB - director of lib at phila univ - current committee chair Nov 22, 2005 10:42:23 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** great - thanks everyone Nov 22, 2005 10:42:32 AM EST

**samantha franklin:** hi, i'm Samantha Franklin and i'm a public services librarian responsible for acquisitions and collection development at Lewis-Clark State in Idaho. I am new to CLS and have no committee responsibilities (as of yet) Nov 22, 2005 10:42:41 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** the recorder of today's minutes is blackboard - i'm capturing the session and we'll use it as our minutes Nov 22, 2005 10:42:52 AM EST

**Robert Lenholt** joined the session Nov 22, 2005 10:43:01 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** welcome to our new colleagues - thanks for joining us and i hope we can get you involved in the future Nov 22, 2005 10:43:10 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** just a housekeeping note - we have an agenda and we'll just follow that and i'll sort of call on each of you when it is time for your report Nov 22, 2005 10:43:39 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** after a formal (sort of) report - then we can have some discussion if appropriate Nov 22, 2005 10:43:57 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** **First we have the chair's report** Nov 22, 2005 10:44:06 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** i think most of our business today will be reported by all of you Nov 22, 2005 10:44:21 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** you've all been active - and doing a great job on our different activities Nov 22, 2005 10:44:46 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** i have one item to mention Nov 22, 2005 10:44:55 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** we received a definite grant from ACRL and a tentative one Nov 22, 2005 10:45:09 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** the first one - and definite - is for \$1,000 for the printing of new color brochures for YRC Nov 22, 2005 10:45:32 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** second - we have a tentative grant (ACRL has put it in the budget - and we'll get it if money allows) for a YRC luncheon at the 2007 nat'l conf Nov 22, 2005 10:46:12 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** that will give us a chance to recognize everyone involved with YRC - as well as promote the program Nov 22, 2005 10:46:34 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** any questions or comments? Nov 22, 2005 10:46:44 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** seeing none typed we'll move on Nov 22, 2005 10:47:08 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** our first report is from jamie gill - but he just emailed me to indicate some difficulties logging in Nov 22, 2005 10:47:31 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** i think you all received his report that he sent out - can you confirm that? Nov 22, 2005 10:47:50 AM EST

**Rebecca Miller:** Yes Nov 22, 2005 10:47:57 AM EST

**Rosemary Arneson:** yes Nov 22, 2005 10:48:09 AM EST

**Robert Lenholt:** correct Nov 22, 2005 10:48:27 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** ok - so you know he has been contacting "research" liaisons in other ACRL sections Nov 22, 2005 10:49:23 AM EST

**Nancy Bohm:** Would it be possible to resend it and today's agenda? My mail folder for the committee is not appearing. Sorry. Thank you. Nov 22, 2005 10:49:31 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** i think jamie has been doing a great job with this task thus far Nov 22, 2005 10:49:52 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** NB - i can't do that at this time - but if anyone else can do that for NB please give it a shot - if not please send me an email and i'll get it to you Nov 22, 2005 10:50:44 AM EST

**samantha franklin:** could i also be included in receiving the report and today's agenda? thanks. Nov 22, 2005 10:51:06 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** right now jamie doesn't have anything concrete lined up Nov 22, 2005 10:51:10 AM EST

**Nancy Bohm:** Thank you. Nov 22, 2005 10:51:15 AM EST

**mark mccallon:** I would also like to be included Nov 22, 2005 10:51:26 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** but we do have some possibilities for joint sponsorship of programs in 2007 Nov 22, 2005 10:51:38 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** the important thing is that he's got the names of the contacts and he's been in touch with them Nov 22, 2005 10:51:55 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** we are hoping to perhaps use some of the contacts for InPrint as well - more on that later Nov 22, 2005 10:52:15 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** any questions or discussions related to jamie's report or what i've added to it? Nov 22, 2005 10:52:38 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** seeing no discussion we'll move on to the next agenda item - Your Research Coach - who is going to report - or report first Nov 22, 2005 10:53:42 AM EST

**Rebecca Miller:** I can start Nov 22, 2005 10:53:54 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** you have the floor Nov 22, 2005 10:54:00 AM EST

**Rebecca Miller:** We got three new research partners this fall Nov 22, 2005 10:54:07 AM EST

**Rebecca Miller:** I matched them up with previous coaches Nov 22, 2005 10:54:13 AM EST

**Rebecca Miller:** I recently checked in with all the coaches Nov 22, 2005 10:54:28 AM EST

**Rebecca Miller:** A few of them have finished up their partnerships Nov 22, 2005 10:54:41 AM EST

**Rebecca Miller:** Most of the rest seemed to be doing well Nov 22, 2005 10:54:50 AM EST

**Rebecca Miller:** That's about all I have Nov 22, 2005 10:55:15 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** RL or NB - anything to add Nov 22, 2005 10:55:31 AM EST

**Robert Lenholt:** I can go Nov 22, 2005 10:55:37 AM EST

**Robert Lenholt:** We had a good write up in the CLS newsletter. I just got mine yesterday. Nov 22, 2005 10:55:55 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** nice job on that rebecca Nov 22, 2005 10:56:11 AM EST

**Robert Lenholt:** I am the partner contact for YRC. I receive applicant info from our online form and respond to them ASAP. I then forward info to NB and RM to follow up. They are doing a great job. Nov 22, 2005 10:56:25 AM EST

**Robert Lenholt:** I happy that we are exploring new relationships with other research committees Nov 22, 2005 10:57:23 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** At ALA annual in June we said we wanted to increase to about 30 participants - i think we're still working on that Nov 22, 2005 10:57:26 AM EST

**Rebecca Miller:** We're at 20 right now Nov 22, 2005 10:57:49 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** Great - i think when we say "30" we mean 30 coach-associate partnerships Nov 22, 2005 10:58:17 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** So that still seems like a good goal for this year Nov 22, 2005 10:58:31 AM EST

**John Riddle:** Hi folks, sorry I'm late Nov 22, 2005 10:58:58 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** Any plans for ongoing marketing - or is that something we'll discuss at ALA Nov 22, 2005 10:59:05 AM EST

**Nancy Bohm:** Maybe updating the brochure with newer anecdotes Nov 22, 2005 10:59:45 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** RA - anything you'd like to add about the spreadsheet or data management? Nov 22, 2005 11:00:15 AM EST

**Robert Lenholt:** And possible better graphics Nov 22, 2005 11:00:17 AM EST

**Rosemary Arneson:** How about a program at ACRL where partners & coaches talk about the experience? Nov 22, 2005 11:00:30 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** Does it seem like YRC is running more smoothly now that we have RA doing the data management? Nov 22, 2005 11:00:41 AM EST

**Robert Lenholt:** I think that is a great idea Nov 22, 2005 11:00:53 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** RA - sounds like a future possibility - great idea Nov 22, 2005 11:00:55 AM EST

**Rebecca Miller:** Yes - it's been nice Nov 22, 2005 11:01:09 AM EST

**Robert Lenholt:** very smooth Nov 22, 2005 11:01:23 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** good news - but let's keep thinking how we might improve the management of the program Nov 22, 2005 11:01:45 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** or maybe we've hit on the right formula Nov 22, 2005 11:01:52 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** we'll re-visit this at ALA Nov 22, 2005 11:02:01 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** also - let's keep RA's idea in focus - we can find out what might be a good venue for a program on this in 2007 Nov 22, 2005 11:02:33 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** not always easy to figure out with ala Nov 22, 2005 11:02:44 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** perhaps CLS can host something - or this is a good idea to organize with other groups interested in research mentoring Nov 22, 2005 11:03:07 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** or have YRC as one option - and invite others doing other things to promote/mentor research Nov 22, 2005 11:03:28 AM EST

**Robert Lenholt:** maybe the research committee Nov 22, 2005 11:03:38 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** any other discussion about YRC - or are we ready to move ahead Nov 22, 2005 11:03:54 AM EST



**samantha franklin:** i like the idea of working with other groups to present a program on this topic Nov 22, 2005 11:04:48 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** Oh - a program on YRC - could also happen at ACRL conference too - but someone - or persons - would have to submit a proposal Nov 22, 2005 11:04:50 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** i mean the 07 nat'l conf in baltimore Nov 22, 2005 11:05:07 AM EST

**Rosemary Arneson:** Didn't the call for proposals just go out? I can check on that and report back to the committee. Nov 22, 2005 11:05:39 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** can the YRC committee give the idea of a program at a future ALA or ACRL some thought or discussion Nov 22, 2005 11:05:43 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** and report back in the next month or so Nov 22, 2005 11:05:57 AM EST

**Robert Lenholt:** absolutely Nov 22, 2005 11:06:02 AM EST

**Rebecca Miller:** sure Nov 22, 2005 11:06:04 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** you may want to involve jamie gill as well - since he has made contacts with other acrl research sections Nov 22, 2005 11:06:22 AM EST

**Nancy Bohm:** could it be combined with the luncheon if ACRL funds it? Nov 22, 2005 11:06:28 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** possibly - but let's not count on that happening - let's just move ahead Nov 22, 2005 11:06:48 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** anyway - we want to have fun at the lunch program Nov 22, 2005 11:07:02 AM EST

**Steven Bell: John - are you ready to report on inprint? Nov 22, 2005 11:07:17 AM EST**

**John Riddle: yes Nov 22, 2005 11:07:24 AM EST**

**Steven Bell:** can u introduce self first Nov 22, 2005 11:07:33 AM EST

**John Riddle:** John Riddle, Head Librarian Penn State-Fayette campus Nov 22, 2005 11:07:49 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** u have the floor Nov 22, 2005 11:07:56 AM EST

**John Riddle:** Hugh Thompson of ACRL has told us we have approval to move forward with re-starting In-Print Nov 22, 2005 11:08:20 AM EST

**John Riddle:** InPrint was a directory of publishing venues for librarians which came out (when? 5-6 years ago?) Nov 22, 2005 11:08:45 AM EST

**John Riddle:** Our goal now is to update InPrint for an on-line, non-print, version Nov 22, 2005 11:09:06 AM EST

**John Riddle:** Haworth evidently is coming out with a print publication for library publishing venues, but I don't know exactly what their plans are Nov 22, 2005 11:09:50 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** yes - nothing heard from haworth in quite a while about their publication Nov 22, 2005 11:10:08 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** let's assume they're still working on it Nov 22, 2005 11:10:18 AM EST

**John Riddle:** So, we need now to determine next steps for this project, and there are still quite a few questions and issues to resolve Nov 22, 2005 11:10:21 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** JR - what do you see as the next step Nov 22, 2005 11:10:40 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** you are developing a group to work on this - yes Nov 22, 2005 11:10:50 AM EST

**John Riddle:** Steve has suggested that he I and a few volunteers from our committee, Blake and Paula, do a conference call to get started Nov 22, 2005 11:11:08 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** yes - there are questions that only hugh thompson of acrl may be able to answer Nov 22, 2005 11:11:33 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** we need to talk with him Nov 22, 2005 11:11:42 AM EST

**John Riddle:** or plan is to partner with other ALA research oriented committees on this project, mainly to help with the updating process Nov 22, 2005 11:11:44 AM EST

**John Riddle:** that's it for now Nov 22, 2005 11:11:51 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** thanks JR - we'll look forward to hearing a progress report at ALA - but you can always keep us informed with emails between now and then Nov 22, 2005 11:12:20 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** this will no doubt be a big project Nov 22, 2005 11:12:32 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** apparently the time consuming thing is getting the info from the journal editors Nov 22, 2005 11:12:46 AM EST

**John Riddle:** good-you Blake Paula and I will coordinate later about when to have a conference call Nov 22, 2005 11:12:56 AM EST

**John Riddle:** are there any other folks on-line today who might like to work with us on this project? Nov 22, 2005 11:13:14 AM EST

**Robert Lenholt:** are you going to restrict access to CLS members or ACRL members? Nov 22, 2005 11:13:21 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** getting approval from acrl to get things underway is a start Nov 22, 2005 11:13:25 AM EST

**mark mccallon:** I would love to. Nov 22, 2005 11:13:32 AM EST

**John Riddle:** Big project yes, but if we determine next steps and divide them up I think it's manageable Nov 22, 2005 11:13:48 AM EST

**John Riddle:** Thanks Mark Nov 22, 2005 11:13:54 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** JR - sign up mark!! Nov 22, 2005 11:14:03 AM EST

**Robert Lenholt:** I would be interested in helping. My YRC duties don't take much time. Nov 22, 2005 11:14:04 AM EST

**samantha franklin:** JR, I would be willing to help Nov 22, 2005 11:14:07 AM EST

**John Riddle:** RL's question-one of the issues to be determined Nov 22, 2005 11:14:16 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** yes - we need to deal with acrl on that one Nov 22, 2005 11:14:28 AM EST

**John Riddle:** Thanks Robert-you're on Nov 22, 2005 11:14:34 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** we'd like it to be an ACRL member's privilege to have access to the content - you get it with your dues Nov 22, 2005 11:14:51 AM EST

**John Riddle:** agree Nov 22, 2005 11:15:11 AM EST

**Robert Lenholt:** it would be a great benefit Nov 22, 2005 11:15:12 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** i'm not sure acrl will see it that way - especially if there are costs associated with maintaining the database Nov 22, 2005 11:15:18 AM EST

**Robert Lenholt:** I think it would increase membership Nov 22, 2005 11:15:45 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** well we'll get going with this and we'll see about the access issue - i can bring that up with Mary Jane Petrowski Nov 22, 2005 11:15:53 AM EST

**John Riddle:** as Steve said, trick will be the constant updating of editor infor-I see this as our great advantage over Haworths print publication Nov 22, 2005 11:15:54 AM EST

**mark mccallon:** Definitely. Online is much more useful for this project. Nov 22, 2005 11:16:27 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** once we show we can do this - we'll also get the CLS leadership behind the project Nov 22, 2005 11:16:36 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** OK - great work - and thanks to you volunteers - this warms my heart Nov 22, 2005 11:17:08 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** any other discussion about or questions related to InPrint Nov 22, 2005 11:17:25 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** JR - thanks for your report! Nov 22, 2005 11:17:47 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** the next agenda item is mine - the ACRL research committee Nov 22, 2005 11:18:07 AM EST

**NOTE** **Đ** we shortly return to the previous agenda item

**John Riddle:** Steve could you check with Mary Jane about the access issue then we can schedule a conference all Nov 22, 2005 11:18:16 AM EST

**John Riddle:** call Nov 22, 2005 11:18:19 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** well, i can mention it but knowing how acrl works i wouldn't expect a definitive response in a timely fashion Nov 22, 2005 11:18:54 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** things move slowly - she may need to talk to the board about it Nov 22, 2005 11:19:06 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** i would say - let's do the conference call - and focus on getting hugh involved Nov 22, 2005 11:19:32 AM EST

**John Riddle:** agree Nov 22, 2005 11:19:49 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** i'll talk to mjp and see if she can join in the conference call Nov 22, 2005 11:20:00 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** if we can set something up prior to ala midwinter - it may give me something to discuss with acrl head honchos when i am there Nov 22, 2005 11:20:23 AM EST

**John Riddle:** Mark, thanks for the message could you send me an e-mail with that info- jsr13@psu.edu Nov 22, 2005 11:20:26 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** ok - getting back to the acrl research comm topic Nov 22, 2005 11:20:50 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** as liaison i'm supposed to go to their meetings and report back to cls Nov 22, 2005 11:21:05 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** this is the top level acrl research comm - then lots of sections (like cls) have them too Nov 22, 2005 11:21:25 AM EST

**paula ellis** joined the session Nov 22, 2005 11:21:34 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** i email the person who runs that committee but have gotten no response Nov 22, 2005 11:21:40 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** i don't think jamie is going to midwinter - otherwise he might be interested in just going to their meeting - most are open to any acrl member Nov 22, 2005 11:22:13 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** but i'll check again with the person in charge about their next meeting Nov 22, 2005 11:22:40 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** the bottom line is that we can just keep going right ahead with our activities - the top level acrl research comm really has no impact on that Nov 22, 2005 11:23:09 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** but it would be nice to find out what is going on - overall in acrl - with respect to research stuff - and that's why it would be helpful to go to their meeting Nov 22, 2005 11:23:41 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** i'll be following up on that - and you'll hear more about it at our next meeting (or sooner if i have something significant to report) Nov 22, 2005 11:24:07 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** any questions or discussion? Nov 22, 2005 11:24:14 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** hearing none - let's move ahead Nov 22, 2005 11:24:42 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** i wanted to mention our next meeting at ALA Nov 22, 2005 11:24:54 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** first - can you let me know - who is planning on going to NO? Nov 22, 2005 11:25:08 AM EST

**Blake Landnor:** I very likely will go Nov 22, 2005 11:25:39 AM EST

**Rosemary Arneson:** I'll be there Nov 22, 2005 11:25:42 AM EST

**Robert Lenholt:** not sure yet Nov 22, 2005 11:25:45 AM EST

**Rebecca Miller:** I will be going Nov 22, 2005 11:25:57 AM EST

**john shank:** I will not be at NO. Nov 22, 2005 11:26:00 AM EST

**Robert Lenholt:** but probably Nov 22, 2005 11:26:00 AM EST

**mark mccallon:** I am planning to go Nov 22, 2005 11:26:02 AM EST

**samantha franklin:** not sure yet Nov 22, 2005 11:26:09 AM EST

**Nancy Bohm:** Not planning at this time... Nov 22, 2005 11:26:17 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** ok - looks like we'll have a pretty good group there so far Nov 22, 2005 11:26:21 AM EST

**John Riddle:** not me Nov 22, 2005 11:26:23 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** as of now the CLS "all committees" meeting is set for sat. 6/24 at 10:30 til noon Nov 22, 2005 11:26:52 AM EST

**John Riddle:** are you talking about mid-winter or anual? Nov 22, 2005 11:27:07 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** annual in new orleans Nov 22, 2005 11:27:15 AM EST

**Robert Lenholt:** boy you guys plan ahead Nov 22, 2005 11:27:25 AM EST

**John Riddle:** ok I plan to be there Nov 22, 2005 11:27:35 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** ok - well make a note and if you are going to be in NO - i will hope to see you at our meeting Nov 22, 2005 11:27:59 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** we should have a lot to talk about Nov 22, 2005 11:28:04 AM EST

**paula ellis:** I am planning to be in New Orleans, too Nov 22, 2005 11:28:10 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** and we can get CLS leaders involved if we need to - everyone will be at this one meeting Nov 22, 2005 11:28:24 AM EST

**Robert Lenholt:** sounds good Nov 22, 2005 11:28:47 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** ok - just wanted to share that info Nov 22, 2005 11:28:53 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** **that completes the current business agenda for our meeting Nov 22, 2005 11:29:19 AM EST**

**Steven Bell:** **we are now ready for OLD business Nov 22, 2005 11:29:31 AM EST**

**Steven Bell:** first - we had talked at ALA about some sort of **CLS member survey** Nov 22, 2005 11:29:51 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** JS has volunteered to work on that - but now we need to refresh - what exactly do we want to know Nov 22, 2005 11:30:16 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** i think it was about presenting at ala and acrl programs Nov 22, 2005 11:30:48 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** we are always having trouble getting this data Nov 22, 2005 11:31:01 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** does that sound familiar to anyone Nov 22, 2005 11:31:15 AM EST

**john shank:** Yes - I can put the survey together with Zoomerang but I need some direction on the questions we want. Nov 22, 2005 11:31:16 AM EST

**Rebecca Miller:** Were we going to ask questions about how comfortable they felt with research? Nov 22, 2005 11:31:16 AM EST

**Robert Lenholt:** didn't it include publications by CLS members, too? Nov 22, 2005 11:31:32 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** well - it could be what ever we want - but we need to focus on - what do we want to learn - report - and use for future activity Nov 22, 2005 11:31:51 AM EST

**john shank:** For example "have you published before? Do you have a research agenda? Nov 22, 2005 11:32:09 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** perhaps we can keep it focused on just getting some baseline data about publishing and presenting Nov 22, 2005 11:32:17 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** js - sort of like that Nov 22, 2005 11:32:24 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** we could ask if they'd be willing to report state and national level activity to some sort of CLS repository Nov 22, 2005 11:32:57 AM EST

**Nancy Bohm:** whether publishing is required for tenure in current position Nov 22, 2005

11:32:59 AM EST

**mark mccallon:** How about which publications they read most frequently? Nov 22, 2005

11:33:08 AM EST

**Robert Lenholt:** You'll have to keep it short to get a decent response rate Nov 22, 2005

11:33:27 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** starts to get a bit unwieldy - but a good question Nov 22, 2005 11:33:30 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** definitely no more than 10 questions Nov 22, 2005 11:33:41 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** Ok - let's do the following Nov 22, 2005 11:33:59 AM EST

**john shank:** I think having a focused survey makes sense I could come up with about 10-15 questions about pub. and presentations and send it to the group for feedback. Nov 22, 2005

11:34:02 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** JS - can folks send their suggestions for questions to you directly? Nov 22, 2005

11:34:19 AM EST

**john shank:** Do we have a members email list so that we can send it to our members email? Nov 22, 2005 11:34:44 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** and then you could compile the 10 - 15 you think work best - and then set up the survey and have us pretest it Nov 22, 2005 11:34:50 AM EST

**john shank:** Yes, please feel free to email me at jds30@psu.edu Nov 22, 2005 11:35:11 AM EST

**Nancy Bohm:** if we all send our emails now, it will form a list in the minutes Nov 22, 2005

11:35:13 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** everyone's info is found on the CLS website - there is a committee roster there Nov 22, 2005 11:35:22 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** no need to send in your emails - it is already there Nov 22, 2005 11:35:31 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** you just need to log in with your ALA membership (your ala member number - and then your pword is two initials and zip code for mail address) Nov 22, 2005 11:36:09 AM EST

**Robert Lenholt:** I have distribution list for the committee I could send and you could all copy it Nov 22, 2005 11:36:20 AM EST

**john shank:** OK. I will compile and complete a test survey and send it out to everyone. If people email me their questions in the next couple of weeks I will get it done before the holidays. Nov 22, 2005 11:36:42 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** again - it's on the cls web site - but rob - feel free to share what you have with john shank Nov 22, 2005 11:36:48 AM EST

**john shank:** That would be great RL. Nov 22, 2005 11:36:56 AM EST

**Robert Lenholt:** OK Nov 22, 2005 11:37:50 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** we can send out a message to collib-l when it's ready - this will just be for CLS members Nov 22, 2005 11:37:55 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** Thanks JS - anything else related to the survey Nov 22, 2005 11:38:07 AM EST

**john shank:** Nope I think that covers it for now. Nov 22, 2005 11:38:24 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** seeing nothing - let's move on Nov 22, 2005 11:38:26 AM EST

**Steven Bell: the next old business was the issue of collecting data about CLS member activity at ALA conferences - presenting papers, etc Nov 22, 2005 11:38:56 AM EST**

**Steven Bell:** we can get this data for ACRL nat'l conferences - but never easy to do for ALA Nov 22, 2005 11:39:15 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** perhaps the survey will help Nov 22, 2005 11:39:27 AM EST

**john shank:** Yes, that could be one of our questions. Nov 22, 2005 11:39:47 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** BUT - in the meantime - we still are in need of a volunteer to manage data collection for CLS research activity by members Nov 22, 2005 11:39:57 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** no need to have a volunteer now since there isn't much to collect Nov 22, 2005 11:40:09 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** we'll return to this at ALA and we should have someone in place - since ACRL will be gearing up for the nat'l conference in the next program year Nov 22, 2005 11:40:39 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** we'll just keep this one on the back burner for now - we've got lots else going on Nov 22, 2005 11:40:58 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** any questions or comments thought Nov 22, 2005 11:41:06 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** anyone want to review the minutes and fix all the typos? Nov 22, 2005 11:41:31 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** or do we vote to submit as is (an idea i prefer) Nov 22, 2005 11:41:44 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** no need to answer that now Nov 22, 2005 11:41:50 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** let's move on Nov 22, 2005 11:41:54 AM EST

**Nancy Bohm:** aye Nov 22, 2005 11:41:55 AM EST

**Robert Lenholt:** aye Nov 22, 2005 11:42:02 AM EST

**john shank:** I second the submit as is Nov 22, 2005 11:42:07 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** **we're up to new business Nov 22, 2005 11:42:14 AM EST**

**Steven Bell:** **i only have one item for new business and then i'll open up the floor to other new business Nov 22, 2005 11:42:33 AM EST**

**Steven Bell:** there is the issue of change in our committee membership Nov 22, 2005 11:42:46 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** a few of us will be moving on Nov 22, 2005 11:42:51 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** some others could move on - or sign on for a second term Nov 22, 2005 11:43:05 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** here is what i have Nov 22, 2005 11:43:10 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** RL - at end of second term Nov 22, 2005 11:43:22 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** BL - at end of second term Nov 22, 2005 11:43:30 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** RL and BL - if i have that correct - our ALA meeting in NO will be your final committee activity Nov 22, 2005 11:43:57 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** does that sound right? Nov 22, 2005 11:44:10 AM EST

**Blake Landnor:** I think so. Nov 22, 2005 11:44:20 AM EST

**Robert Lenholt:** correct, but I would like to continue working on YRC and inprint Nov 22, 2005 11:44:29 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** i don't think acrl can stop you from volunteering to help - but we should check into that - they've got a lot of rules - as you know Nov 22, 2005 11:44:59 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** a few folks who are at the end of their first term as of ala annual Nov 22, 2005 11:45:20 AM EST

**Robert Lenholt:** by second term do you mean second year? Nov 22, 2005 11:45:22 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** RL - i mean you have now put in four years - two 2 year terms Nov 22, 2005 11:45:48 AM EST

**Robert Lenholt:** incorrect, i have only put in 2 Nov 22, 2005 11:46:05 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** It may be John Riddle who is at the end of the second term - having put in 4 years Nov 22, 2005 11:46:40 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** i will go back and check Nov 22, 2005 11:46:52 AM EST

**Robert Lenholt:** I would like to volunteer for a second term then Nov 22, 2005 11:47:06 AM EST

**John Riddle:** I think you're correct about me Steve Nov 22, 2005 11:47:13 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** but i believe rosemary, rebecca and nancy are just finishing the first year Nov 22, 2005 11:47:24 AM EST

**John Riddle:** but will you check and let me know Nov 22, 2005 11:47:32 AM EST

**Rebecca Miller:** I think that's right Nov 22, 2005 11:47:50 AM EST

**John Riddle:** if true, we'll need someone to take over leadership for the InPrint project Nov 22, 2005 11:47:53 AM EST

**Rosemary Arneson:** I think I'm coming to the end of my second year. Nov 22, 2005 11:47:54 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** well - this needs some checking but i just wanted to bring this up so that you would all be thinking about it Nov 22, 2005 11:48:07 AM EST

**Rosemary Arneson:** I'd be willing to re-enlist for another term. Nov 22, 2005 11:48:32 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** more than likely someone from CLS - probably the vice-chair - may be in touch to see if you will renew for another term Nov 22, 2005 11:48:38 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** at some point acrl sends out a report on how many new people are needed Nov 22, 2005 11:49:04 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** i'll go back and check the roster and try to send an update Nov 22, 2005 11:49:17 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** the good news is that we have several people with only one year - and others with only one term - so we'll definitely have continuity Nov 22, 2005 11:49:54 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** but we may need some of you to take on other responsibilities - like In Print - if JR's appointment is up - but we have volunteers already so i think it's in good hands Nov 22, 2005 11:50:45 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** also, my second term is up at ALA so I will need to leave this committee Nov 22, 2005 11:51:06 AM EST

**Robert Lenholt:** too bad. you've been a great chair Nov 22, 2005 11:52:06 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** i'll still be leading the meeting at ala in NO - and then someone new will take on the leadership Nov 22, 2005 11:52:10 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** thanks - it has been great working with all of you Nov 22, 2005 11:52:26 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** we've accomplished a heck of a lot as a group in the last year and a half Nov 22, 2005 11:52:40 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** much more to do thought Nov 22, 2005 11:52:47 AM EST

**Nancy Bohm:** will be hard to fill those shoes Nov 22, 2005 11:52:49 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** any other new business? Nov 22, 2005 11:53:06 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** other issues or concerns Nov 22, 2005 11:53:22 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** anything you want to have discussed at ala Nov 22, 2005 11:53:35 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** just a summary then of action items for the next few months - here is what i have Nov 22, 2005 11:54:00 AM EST

**paula ellis:** Will we have a meeting at midwinter? Nov 22, 2005 11:54:03 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** we need to start planning for a new YRC brochure - i think we don't get the grant money until july 2006 though Nov 22, 2005 11:54:29 AM EST

#### **ACTION ITEMS FOR THIS MEETING**

**Steven Bell:** we'll try to continue to seek a goal of 30 partnerships for YRC between now and ALA Nov 22, 2005 11:54:55 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** john shank will work on survey questions and developing the instrument - please send him your suggested questions Nov 22, 2005 11:55:21 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** john riddle will organize a meeting of the inprint committee -to included hugh thompson of acrl Nov 22, 2005 11:55:42 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** steven will talk to mary jane petrowski about the access questions Nov 22, 2005

11:56:00 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** or at least get that discussion going Nov 22, 2005 11:56:09 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** steven will look into everyone's status as we head into the the turnover period at ala Nov 22, 2005 11:56:44 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** anything else? Nov 22, 2005 11:56:50 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** maybe the stuff with jamie gill and the research liaison activity Nov 22, 2005 11:57:28 AM EST

**Rebecca Miller:** YRC will talk about a program at ALA or ACRL Nov 22, 2005 11:57:35 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** and let's not forget RA's great idea - thanks rebecca Nov 22, 2005 11:57:46 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** **not seeing any other items for discussion or other action items for our next meeting i would like to adjourn the meeting Nov 22, 2005 11:58:22 AM EST**

**john shank:** I second Nov 22, 2005 11:58:34 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** well, at least we did one formal thing Nov 22, 2005 11:58:46 AM EST

**Robert Lenholt:** Thanks Nov 22, 2005 11:58:52 AM EST

**Robert Lenholt:** bye Nov 22, 2005 11:58:55 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** ok - we're adjourned Nov 22, 2005 11:58:57 AM EST

**Robert Lenholt** left the session Nov 22, 2005 11:59:04 AM EST

**Blake Landnor** left the session Nov 22, 2005 11:59:04 AM EST

**Rosemary Arneson:** Bye Nov 22, 2005 11:59:05 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** i'll get the minutes together and then send that out Nov 22, 2005 11:59:07 AM EST

**Rosemary Arneson** left the session Nov 22, 2005 11:59:09 AM EST

**John Riddle:** so long Nov 22, 2005 11:59:09 AM EST

**Steven Bell:** ok - thanks all Nov 22, 2005 11:59:11 AM EST

**John Riddle** left the session Nov 22, 2005 11:59:15 AM EST

**john shank:** Great meeting all - just send me your questions for the survey and I will put it together Nov 22, 2005 11:59:16 AM EST

Submitted by Steven Bell

---

Compiled and Submitted by:

Christopher Barth

College Libraries Section Secretary 2005-06

Friday, February 10, 2006